Unless you have spent the last 3 month in a cave, you know that Apple has held its unique yearly keynote to unveil the new iPhone. This year, Apple has played pretty big and announced the following :
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus (phablet type iPhone)
- Apple Watch (the very anticipated iWatch)
- Apple Pay (or how to boost AAPL and get a lot of $$$ making phone payment simple, easy and secure)
The iPhone 6 is a big leap forward for the iPhone range which will now count 4 reference as the iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S remain on the market (for their really pocket size format lovers like me). So here is a summary of the keynote about the iPhone 6 to get to know them in a few seconds.
iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus : What’s new in 30 points
- Not one but actually two iPhone 6 are launched today : the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus.
- Screen sizes :
- iPhone 6 : 4,7?
- iPhone 6 Plus : 5,5?
- New Retina resolutions and definitions :
- iPhone 6 : 1330 x 750 (326 pixels / sq inch)
- iPhone 6 Plus : 1920 x 1080 (that is Full HD, 401 pixels / sq inch)
- The iPhone 6 has over 1 million pixels and the one of the iPhone 6 Plus over 2 millions pixels.
- IPS panel for a better angle of view and more accurate color reproduction. Apple claim the iPhone 6 can render the entire sRGB color space. Photographers will appreciate.
- New ion reinforced glass and new polish treatment allowed Apple to give this seamless design to both iPhone 6 with rounded edges.
- Thinest iPhones ever :
- iPhone 5S : 7,6mm
- iPhone 6 : 6,9mm
- iPhone 6 Plus : 7,1mm
- The iPhone 6 Plus offers an optimised screen display when held in landscape orientation to take advantage of its wider screen. When you will hold it that way, the keyboard will also offer additional functions.
- A8 Processeur inside : 25% more computing power than the previous A7 of the iPhone 5S and a graphic speed up to 50% higher than previous generation.
- The iPhone 6 is 50% more efficient than the iPhone 5S which should lead to improved battery life in spite of the more demanding display.
- The M8 processor continuously records movements data given by the gyroscope, the accelerometer and the compass.
- Both iPhone 6 have a built-in barometer to measure the atmospheric pressure and therefore give an indication of the altitude level you are at. Fitness apps should be able to get the elevation per day or number of stairs climbed… out of this new function. (cf Health under iOS 8)
- 4G LTE connectivity is faster than on the iPhone 5S / 20 bands / compatible with over 200 mobile operators worldwide.
- Support the voice over 4G LTE for better sound when placing calls. This is the VoLTE.
- Wi-Fi : 802.11ac for higher transfer rates which can be up to 3 times faster with the iPhone 6 than they were / are with the iPhone 5S.
- You may now place call using the Wi-Fi if the 3G/4G signal of the operator is too weak for better call quality.
- iPhone 6 camera : new 8-megapixel sensor with a pixel pitch of 1,5micron, a new f/2.2 lens => 80% more light coming in.
- New pixel autofucus system for more accurate and faster focus. Focus transition in video mode are said to be fast and smooth.
- The iPhone 6 gets a new image processing algorithm with improved noise reduction and a local tone mapping for better exposure.
- The A8 processor of the iPhone 6 embeds a graphic chip (DSP) in charge of the camera’s signal processing.
- Optical image stabilization !
- Improved face detection and group face detection for group selphies.
- Automatic selection of the best image in burst mode (eye blink detection and so on)
- New 240 fps slow-motion video recording (max. 120 fps on the iPhone 5S)
- New video encoder developed by Apple itself.
- Time-Lapse video.
- Single-shot HDR photo.
- The iPhone 6 has iOS 8 at lauch.
- Compatible with Apple Pay (NFC + Touch ID)
- New silicone cases for the iPhone 6 design.
iPhone 6 et iPhone 6 Plus : prices and availabilities
Here are the prices announced by Apple for the US market based on a subscription to a mobile operator :
- iPhone 6 16 GB : 199 $.
- iPhone 6 32 GB : 299 $
- iPhone 6 64 GB : 399 $
- iPhone 6 Plus 16 GB : 299 $
- iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB : 399 $
- iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB : 499 $
How about their availability ? Well, you’ll be glad to read that they BOTH will hit the shelves on Sept. 19th 2014 and preorders open on this coming Friday Sept. 12th.
iPhone 6 video