Here are the new ipads for the next 12 months. This year, there will be no less than 4 iPad that will coexist with the entry-level iPad 2 and iPad mini, along with two great new Apple tablets : the iPad Air and the iPad Mini Air Retina .
iPad Air (previously called ipad 5)
iPad Air gets the design of the iPad mini as expected, but with a 9.7 “screen. Thinner and lighter, yet, much more powerful, the iPad Air is the iPad 5G. Here are the key specs of the iPad Air :
- 7.5 mm thick ( 20 % less than the iPad 4). Not bad in one single generation.
- 453 grams on the scale
- A7 processor / 64-bit 72 times more powerful than the first iPad
- Graphics power doubled compared to the iPad 4
- Wi -Fi MIMO => till twice faster
- 5 megapixel camera
- Battery life: 10 hours
- Price: from $499 (Air iPad 16 GB Wi- Fi)
- Availability: Nov. 1st 2013, worldwide
iPad mini Retina
This new iPad mini will be as powerful as the iPad Air and gains the Retina display as expected ! Retina Display on the ipad mini
- Retina screen is 2048 x 1568 pixels (exactly as the iPad 9.7 ” , meaning higher resolution )
- A7 Processor / 64 bits ( a 4x power leap compared to the previous iPad mini )
- Fastest graphics processor 8 times faster
- Wi -Fi MIMO
- Battery life: 10 hours
- Available in 128GB
- Colours: white, sidereal gray
- Price: $399 for the 16 GB iPad mini Retina (that will coexist with the iPad mini sold $ 299) as our crystal ball predicted .
Touch ID will not be offered this year on the new iPads as you might have expected.
New protective leather cases are available.
The Smart Cover as usual is now declined in five new colors.
iPad 2013-2014 range and prices
iPad mini Retina Wi- Fi:
- 16 GB : $399
- 32 GB: $499
- 64 GB: $599
- 128 GB : $699
iPad mini Retina Wi- Fi + 3G:
- 16 GB: $529
- 32 GB: $629
- 64 GB: $729
- 128 GB : $829
iPad mini Wi -Fi 16 GB: $299
iPad mini Wi- Fi + 3G: $429
iPad Air Wi- Fi:
- 16 GB: $499
- 32 GB: $599
- 64 GB: $699
- 128 GB : $799
Air iPad Wi- Fi + 3G:
- 16 GB: $629
- 32 GB: $729
- 64GB : $829
- 128 GB : $929
iPad 2 Wi -Fi 16 GB: $399
iPad 2 Wi -Fi + 3G: $529
iOS : iLife and iWork
iOS also sees three of its flagship applications progress as announced during this keynote with 3 updates for iLife (Mac OS X / iOS) :
- Garage Band which is now a kind of freemium with in-app purchase of content
- iMovie : which is compatible with the slow- motion movies of the iPhone 5S and benefits from a new clearer interface
- iPhoto also changes the interface for simplicity . This new version gets the module for photo books creation, a must on the iPad
- iWork for iOS is officially launched and becomes free as expected and adds many new features with cloud sync (iWork in the cloud ) for real-time synchronization of documents on Mac , iPad, iPhone and online.
During the keynote, Tim Cook came back on the launch of iOS 7 with magic number, a record high 200 million activations in just 5 days. Although I am a bit disappointed by the next figure as currently, 64% of iPhone or iPad are running iOS 7.
He also summed up the iPad in figures with a total of 170 million units sold and a tablet user share of 81% ! To date, 475,000 iPad apps available.